- In December 2001, test experiment (T496) for the Aerogel Cherenkov have been carried out at KEK with Dr. Vladimir Ladyguine, Dr. Valeri Peressedov from Dubna.
- Both Belle type (aerogel w. 2 PMT's on the side) and Mirror type (mirror followed by 1 PMT behind the aerogel) have been tested. So far, best results (>20 p.e.) obtained from Belle type with 3" PMT's and Goretex as reflector, which is our backup solution now.
- Position dependences of both counters are found to be acceptable.
- More detailed stories can be found here.
- We will continue R&D and test experiments for both mirror and Belle type. (Next test beam will be before the summer.)
- For the deltailed analysis of optical properties of the Aerogel, such as wavelength dependences of absorption length & scattering length, study with a laser and spectrometer is also in progress.
- Comparison of Aerogel from Matsushita and Novosibirsk gives interesting results; while similar results obtained when non-UV PMT was used, Novosibirsk Aerogel provides 20 - 30 % larger signal than that of Matsushita with UV PMT (Quartz window). As is reported in literature, Novosibirsk aerogel seems to have better optical transmission in UV. (According to Sumiyoshi at KEK, master of aerogel, more complicated process is adopted for production of aerogel at Novosibirsk.)